Thursday, April 23, 2015

From Parking Tickets to Prescriptions


Would you believe me if I told you I wasn't always a Marketing Director for a high-ranking Pharmacy in Los Angeles? There was a time when all I did for work was try to stop theft in a store. Can you believe that?

After I graduated from California State University Northridge with a master's degree in Communication Studies, I had trouble finding a job. I began searching for an office job that fit with my moral compass. I wanted to work for a company that I could believe in and a company that treated their employees well. After endless hours of searching and several interviewers telling me that I was their second best choice, I had to resort to a job that did not utilize my degree. A friend told me about a security company that was hiring, and I applied. I received a call and was hired on the spot. A few days later, they called me back and I began the security training. I wasn't at the job a month before I began to dread going to work. 


My supervisors were rude, uptight, and inconsiderate. They didn't care if I had a fever, they wanted me at work whether I could stand without puking or not. They wanted me to catch people stealing but I wasn't allowed to do anything once they stepped out of the store. Would you try to stop a full-grown drugged-out customer sprinting for the store exit just for stealing one $5 item? This job clearly did not fit my moral compass.

The supervisors at the grocery store were rude and got mad if I did not catch someone stealing. The rules at the store made it hard to catch people. And it doesn't stop there, it wasn't the people who stole from the store that were the worst. I decided I needed a new job when my employers failed to show any care for my well-being at work.

One day I had come to work, a bit more stressed than usual. I didn't think much of it until I began having incredible chest pain. The chest pain was not going away and it was getting worse. I called the nurse and she told me I needed to call 911. It was an excruciating pain that I had never experienced before. I called 911 and called my supervisor and told him to find someone else to cover me. The paramedics told me that they did all they could and now all I could do is rest. 

That moment made me realize I do not deserve to be in a profession that makes me so stressed out. I need a job I enjoy; something that I can wake up loving everyday. I wanted a boss that considers me an asset, not an annoyance or problem. 

So I began searching Craigslist. I made sure that I found companies that were similar to my own moral standards. I came across an office job that was at a mail order compounding pharmacy. As I looked at the ad, it sounded like it went along with what I wanted to do and what I believed in. I sent my resume and prayed that I got called.

The same day I applied the owner, Steve Levin, called me and wanted to set up an interview. I interviewed for the job, liked the owner and all the employees, and everything about it. Within two hours of my interview, Steve called me to tell me he filled the position that I applied for, but was creating a position for me. This was the first time in a while that I felt really appreciated. 

Finally I found a company that fits my standards, morals, and my personality. I have creative freedom here which I did not have at my last job. I am appreciated and I love the people I work with. I am finally making a difference. The pharmacy is supplying hard to find medications to their patients and saving lives. They make an effort to do everything they can for every patient. They go above and beyond any pharmacy I've seen and I'm proud to work with, and for them. This pharmacy is my new home and  I fit right in.


Jennie-Your Undercover For Everything Pharmacy



No comments:

Post a Comment